The preseason is finally over. The Eagles finish with a meaningless 1-3 record as the slate is erased and now the games really mean something. Last night’s main purpose was to evaluate the players who are on the bubble so it can be determined who will be kept on the final 53 man roster. A lot of things can be taken from the game, here are some of my thoughts.
- Glad LeSean McCoy didn’t get overworked. Had a nice goal line carry where he was able to find the end zone.
- Michael Vick scores his first touchdown as an Eagle. I think he can be a real threat in the red zone like they showed last night. Seems like they’re still tinkering around to find out how he can be used best.
- Mark Sanchez went 5/5 for 67 yards and a touchdown making the Eagles defense look like trash. Got eaten alive by the tight ends again. That is something that REALLY needs to be worked on or it’s going to be a long season.
- Sean Jones, wow man what’s your deal. Looked absolutely horrible in pass coverage. He was allowing receivers to get up to him instead of keeping everything in front of him. The guy is a tackling safety and a tackling safety only.
- Jack Ikegwuonu had a nice interception and return but other than that I wasn’t overly impressed with his coverage skills. He shows glimmers of hope here and there but I still think he has work to do.
- Moise Fokou vs. Joe Mays – Going to have to give the win to Fokou here. Although they both couldn’t defend the pass, Fokou was all over the field recording 10 tackles.
- Wasn’t overly impressed by anything Macho Harris did last night. This means Quintin Demps better play like a monster as I’m weary to his backups.
- Brandon Gibson got a lot of playing time last night and in my opinion he showed that he deserves to make this team. I really do want to see him make the team and will be very interested to see how it plays out.
- Great night for Tony Curtis. Got his first action in an Eagles uniform and was definitely impressive. I thought the guy was brought in to be the team’s blocking tight end; however, he showed that he can catch the ball too and looked good doing so.
- Danny Amendola.. You hate to see the kid go but it’s a numbers game. He played his heart out last night and is a great little player. Despite his size he breaks away from a lot of people who get their hands on him.
- So Michael Vick didn’t put up great numbers but I’m not disappointed with his play. I’m happy he got knocked around a lot because it’s been quite some time and he needs to get that feeling back. He didn’t look stellar dropping back and throwing the ball but that’s not what he’s hear to do. He made plays with his feet when he needed to and you know you were holding your breath every time he broke out of the pocket. It really is exciting to watch him play.
- I’m glad the offensive line that played last night was not our starting line. They looked terrible and gave up 7 sacks. I think Kevin Kolb held the ball too long a couple times but the pressure was still pretty crazy.
What did you notice about last nights game? Positive? Negative?