For those who were unable to watch the press conference held by Andy Reid, Donovan McNabb, and Brian Westbrook, here is a recap on the highlights of what was said.
- Todd Herremans and Joe Mays will be out of the game on Sunday. Mays has a sprained shoulder. Andy is unsure on Todd’s return but says he will miss at least two games.
- Chris Gocong will serve as the backup for Gaither. If Gaither goes down, Gocong slides into the middle and Moise Fokou will come in on the strong side.
- Andy says he is happy with the progress of Macho Harris and that he is a fast learner.
- Remarked that the Panthers have an impressive offense and the defense will definitely be tested.
- When asked about Michael Vick, he said he remains exempt. He can watch practice, but not participate. He is able to workout with his coach after practice. He will travel to Carolina with the team.
- Asked about carrying 7 WR’s Andy said they’re all good players and nothing else.
- Many questions were asked regarding the offensive line. Andy says that they have worked hard the last few weeks but does wish they would have been able to play together in a game situation. He says they have been battling with the defensive line at practice full speed and that’s the closest you can get to a game.
- He was asked about the offensive line right off the bat and said he was confident with the line and was excited to have everyone playing except Herremans.
- He said the Carolina defensive line is relentless and that Julius Peppers is a very impressive player that creates mismatches no matter where he lines up. Donovan said you have to focus on stopping Peppers before anyone else.
- Donovan said he is happy with the status of the tight end position
- He said it will be a process to get all the new guys on the offense working together as one. Also, he remarked that communication will be key for the line to function.
- When asked about Michael Vick, he said he thought he should be allowed to play Week One and that it’s unfortunate that he can’t. He said all he can really do is workout and keep himself prepared.
- Donovan was asked if there was a wildcat formation that didn’t involve Michael Vick. Donovan jokingly said absolutely and that he was once Michael Vick.
- Westbrook said there may be a bit of rust at first but he expects to play as normal and looks forward to getting as many touches as possible.
- He said he has been focused on his timing in practice, both with the line and with Donovan.
- A reporter asked if Westbrook was worried about being a “30 year old running back” and Westbrook said his age didn’t worry him at all. He’s more focused on making plays when he touches the ball.
- When asked about LeSean, he said he thinks LeSean is ready to contribute and has the makings of a good football player. He said he is excited to see what he can do on the field.
- Westbrook jokingly said that he wants to come out and impress right away so he can show Andy that you don’t have to kill yourself in training camp to play well.