Andy Reid held a press conference today where he discussed the status of Donovan McNabb as well as the other roster moves that were made this week. Here is a run down of things that were said:
– Injuries: Todd Heremanns will be out, Quintin Demps (Hamstring), Joe Mays (shoulder), and Donovan McNabb (ribs) will not practice today but are day to day.
– If McNabb is unable to start Sunday’s game, Kevin Kolb will be the starter; Jeff Garcia will be the backup.
– If Mcnabb is able to start Sunday’s game, Kolb will be the backup; Garcia will be third string.
– McNabb is making progress; however, it is still too early to make any fair assessments.
– Garcia will not take reps with the starters, he will split snaps with Michael Vick on the scout team. Reid said that Kolb can gain a lot from these two guys because they’re willing to share.
– Reid said that McNabb could play Sunday with “very little practice this week” because he knows the offense so well.
– Although he has very little game experience, Reid said he and the coaching staff are very confident in Kolb’s abilities.
– The reason Vick was activated is because Reid wanted him to get back practicing with players instead of coaches. He wants him to get his timing down.
– When asked why he put Shawn Andrews on the IR he said that he was unable to function and play football. Reid said Andrews will rehab in Philly for a week then go else where. Most likely to LA, near the team doctor. When asked if the injury was career threatening, Reid said he did not believe so.
– On the possibility of signing John Runyan, Reid said he was “good with the roster” as it stands.
– Reid was asked if Brian Westbrook might see increased touches with the absence of McNabb. He said that Westbrook is a major part of the offense no matter who is on the field and they are lucky to have him.
– When asked about the Hank Baskett move, Reid noted that Baskett was one of his favorite guys. He said that Reggie Brown can fill in as a starter if it were ever necessary and that Brandon Gibson showed a lot in camp. Reid said this situation was a good problem to have.