Not to far away from kickoff and these are some of my final thoughts before today’s game:
- Offensively, I’d love to see a run game established early. I’m not looking for any one player to take the lead here, I’d like to see a three headed monster between LeSean McCoy, Leonard Weaver, and Michael Vick. Personally, I’d like to see Vick get more reps than usual today. These conditions aren’t pass friendly and I think he could have a big day on the ground if he gets enough reps.
- Defensively, it has to be about stopping the run game first and foremost. It’s a given that the 49ers will look to run early and will continue to do so if they have success early.
- Force Alex Smith to beat you. This goes hand-in-hand with stopping the run. If the Eagles can do that it forces Alex Smith to beat you. I don’t think he has the ability to take he game into his own hands and get a win against a defense as good as the Eagles.
- Get to Smith early. The Eagles typically do a good job getting to the quarterback, but I’d especially like to see them do this early in the game today. Let Smith know early you’re coming after him all day and he’ll force the ball. I see the Eagles easily forcing Smith into at least two turnovers.
- Get Kevin Curtis the ball. I’m not looking for him to scorch down the field and get behind defenders. I’d rather see him get some quick slants and comebacks just to get the ball in his hands and get him reacquainted with playing. It’s been a while for him and he needs to get back in the swing of things.
- Will Reggie Brown step up? He will get the start today across from DeSean Jackson in the absence of Jeremy Maclin. He had a few nice plays last week but you know this city is still skeptical. I don’t know if I expect him to make a big play, but I’d like to see him consistently get open and catch the ball.
- Get up early and hold the lead. I would like to see the Eagles get a big lead early and hold on to it. This way players who are kind of banged up can rest a bit. I wouldn’t mind seeing Brent Celek sit the second half if the lead is big enough at halftime. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Michael Vick play the fourth quarter at quarterback.
- Maintain Vernon Davis. I thought about wording that as “Shut down Vernon Davis” but I don’t think that’s possible. The guy is playing great right now and the Eagles always struggle against good tight ends. The Eagles need to try to limit him as much as possible.
What thoughts do you have going into today’s game?