There was a lot to take away from the Chiefs game, and although it seems like forever ago, it’s still on my mind. Here is a final list of things I liked and didn’t like from the game on Friday.
Things I liked:
- Todd Herremans’ impact in the running game. He instantly makes the left side better.
- Vick looked very sharp in both rushing and passing.
- Kolb and McCoy had a good connection. If it hadn’t been for a blatant holding penalty they likely could have connected for a TD.
- Likewise….Kolb should have had a long TD to Maclin but there was an uncalled pass interference penalty.
- Kolb somehow eluding the sack with 2:40 left in the first. Great blocking by McCoy and Maclin on that play as well.
- Kolb is tough as nails. He took a beating and from everything I’ve heard he refused to be taken out early in the 3rd quarter. Cannot question his toughness.
- Kolb really does excel at those quick throws.
- Second play of the first drive in the second half…Kolb made a nice throw to Avant after looking off the defender and utilizing the pump fake. Avant then did an excellent job of stretching out for the first down. Overall, Avant had an excellent night.
- I really liked how Kolb responded after throwing the INT. He came out slinging and looked pretty good. As a whole, I am very happy with the way Kolb ended the game. He showed great resiliency after a very rough night.
- Trent Cole coming out on the first play of the game and recovering the fumbled ball. A start like that can instantly give you all the momentum in the regular and post season. Good heads up play.
- DEs ability to collapse the pocket and then change direction and chase down the scrambling QB.
- Stewart Bradley’s impact in coverage over the middle of the field.
- Great concentration by Lindley on his INT.
- Brandon Graham’s hustle. What a motor this guy has. He’s gonna be so special.
- Good job on down and short plays.
- You can’t deny that Samuel is excellent at hitting. Now…tackling is a different story. But, he is a hard hitter.
- Ernie Sims should have had himself a pick in the red zone. Great coverage over the middle. Hopefully he can make that play in the regular season.
- I loved, loved, loved, LOVED Nate Allen’s tackle on Thomas Jones in the Chief’s first possession of the second half. He read the pass perfectly, quickly changed directions, and brought down Thomas before he got a big gain.
- Great to see two passes batted down at the line of scrimmage.
- Going back to Nate Allen….I cannot help but be reminded of a certain beloved FS in Eagles history when I watch him. He has a long way to go but he has looked fantastic. Oh, that beloved FS was also a second round draft pick. From 1996.
- As always Akers is automatic.
- Demps looked great on KR. Having met him several times, I am really rooting for him.
- Rocca looked good as he always does during the preseason.
- Kurt Coleman made an excellent play on Rocca’s first punt in the second half to bring down the ball carrier before he could gain good yardage.
Things I didn’t like:
- The right side of the O-line played terrible football. Stacy Andrews is really disappointing me. Missed a lot of assignments.
- Kolb missed too many passes up high. He’s like to anti-McNabb in that way.
- Would still like to see Shady get more after first contact. His legs go dead on contact.
- Maclin was just going through the motions out there. Very lazy.
- Kolb forced far too many throws.
- More on the right side of the line….run blocking was very poor as well.
- Celek…oh Celek! Where fore art thou Celek?
- Peters got beat like a red-headed step child. Too many mental mistakes as well. Hopefully he gets his act together for the regular season. He’s key to Kolb’s growth.
- Too many guys coming in unblocked from the right side.
- The O-line made Andy Studebaker (one of our former guys for those playing at home) look like an All-Pro. Bad, bad, bad.
- The offense couldn’t get anything going during the 2 minute warning of the first half. Very disappointing.
- On Kolb’s INT it looked like a desperation throw. Kolb needs to learn to take the sack in that case.
- I understand why the Eagles were giving Vick playing time. However, in my opinion, when you have a QB in Kolb who is struggling to get into a rhythm, it is not the ideal time to play with the wildcat formation.
- Didn’t react well to the swing in momentum in the 2nd quarter after the Eagles punt return unit granted the Chiefs a first down.
- Samuel’s gambling pays off at times but sometimes it really hurts as evidenced by the Chiefs’ touchdown in the first quarter.
- Asante Samuel looked like a deer in the headlights when Thomas Jones ran right at him in the third quarter. I could die of not surprise.
- Chad Hall = Jeremy Bloom. Timid.
- The punt coverage unit is struggling with initial tackling as well.
Things that likely only interest me:
- Trevard Lindley seemed to play over Hobbs a lot.
- Teams are finding a lot of space returning kicks on us to the right side.
- Brandon Graham’s technique is impeccable for a rookie. I’ve never seen a young DE quite like this in Philly.
- The ETN crew is plain awful. Someone get me a connection so I can take over for one of the announcers. Please.
- Once Trent Cole left the game the Chiefs were able to run the ball at will to the side that he patrols.