It was ugly, make no mistake. The score indicates that the Eagles were in it all the way but the score lies. The Eagles fell to the Bears 31-26 in what was one of the worst defensive performances I’ve seen in recent years. As always, I’m here to highlight the highs and lows of the game. The past few weeks there’s been a lot of highs but this week isn’t the same case.
- At the start of the game the Eagles were running the ball and utilizing the screen. Great way to beat the blitz and pressure that the Bears were bringing all day long.
- Is there any question about who is the best WR on the team? Yet another big day from Jeremy Maclin.
- Good to see you catching everything again, Mr. Avant.
- The final TD pass from Vick to Celek might have been one of the best throws I’ve ever seen. Ever.
- LeSean McCoy has become an all around back. He can run, catch, and block. His block on Brian Urlacher late in the game was nothing short of impressive.
- After letting the Bears score two TDs the defense starting getting after Cutler. For the day they sacked him four times and hit him another five.
- The defense also had nine tackles for a loss.
- I liked what I saw from Moise Fokou. He was around the ball a lot and made some decent plays.
- Brandon Graham had a great day. Pressured Cutler all day and earned a sack.
- Antonio Dixon is becoming a stud at DT.
- Another very good day from Akers and Rocca on kicks and punts.
- DeSean Jackson had a nice punt return in the beginning of the game.
- The Red Zone offense was pitiful. This is due in part to play calling. I haven’t watched the entire game again yet but did we even run the ball in the red zone?
- Vick threw his first INT of the season. While it wasn’t completely his fault it was still an iffy decision. That INT was the turning point in the game.
- Vick needs to stop fumbling. Pronto.
- Vick to Celek simply doesn’t work. Usually.
- Offseason need: Right Guard.
- Going back to the red zone, where was the blocking on Peppers on the Eagles first drive of the second quarter? The Eagles had 3rd and goal from the Chicago 3 yard line and Peppers came flying in completely unblocked for a huge sack.
- What was Eldra Buckley doing in the offensive lineup for the first possession? There is no reason he should be in the first 15 scripted plays.
- DeSean Jackson, you deserved the ripping you got from Reid. You’ve been playing lazy football the last two weeks.
- Let’s just say we miss Asante Samuel. A lot.
- Stewart Bradley, you take one step forward and two steps back. Awful game.
- Dear Joselio Hanson, please take some lessons in maintaining your balance. I know the field in Chicago is awful but you were on the ground more than anyone.
- After the Eagles had success in pressuring Cutler for a few possessions, the pressure magically disappeared. What happened? I’m looking at you Sean McDermott.
- Seriously, you guys made Jay Cutler look like Dan Marino. For shame.
- I told you to not kick to Hester. You didn’t listen to me.
- All in all just horrid coverage on punts and kicks. Can we please start keeping some special teams aces on this roster?
It was ugly. No question about it. But the Eagles will bounce back. To me this feels eerily like the loss to the Baltimore Ravens in 2008. Sometimes a reality check is the best thing for a team and the Eagles got that this past weekend. Now it’s time to forget this game and focus on the Houston Texans who are coming to town for Thursday Night Football.