Well we’ve had quite the nice break to take in the victory over the Houston Texans. It wasn’t always pretty but as they say, a win is a win. The Eagles took care of business at home and continued to show a heart that we haven’t seen in the past. As always I’m here to break down the positives and negatives from all sides of the ball.
- Michael Vick continues to put together what is undoubtedly his highest quality season yet.
- Good to see DeSean Jackson get involved early and often. He’s the home run hitter.
- LeSean McCoy is the best screen back in the NFL right now. He is one of the best overall backs in the NFL. He’s not even in his prime yet.
- Jason Peters is well worth the money my friends. Please take a look at the elite pass rushers he has been shutting down. LT is the least of the Eagles’ worries on the O-line.
- Nice to see Owen Schmitt get his first TD as an Eagle. He’s been an excellent addition in place of the injured Leonard Weaver.
- Brent Celek’s numbers look pedestrian (4 catches for 55 yards) but he made the play of the game. The Eagles faced 3rd and 19 and he was able to stretch out for the final yard in order to get a first down. It was an all around good, heads up play.
- How’s this for a change in culture? If this were a year ago we would all have thought the Eagles were done the second they lost the lead. This team has a whole new attitude and deficits do not daunt them they had in the past.
- Solid first half of the game. They kept one of the more explosive offenses in the league to 10 points during the first two quarters. Nice.
- Trevor Laws snagged his first INT and it helped lead to another 3 points for the Eagles. Also kept the Texans from carrying any true momentum into the half.
- Nate Allen’s forced fumble on Matt Schaub sealed the game for the Eagles and it was a great play. Allen’s been looking like a rookie (obviously) lately but that was a veteran move. Instead of going for the tackle he went for the strip when he saw how Schaub was holding the ball. You know who excelled at making plays like that? Dawkins. I’m not saying, I’m just saying.
- Two weeks, two sacks for Mike Patterson.
- Solid game from Stewart Bradley. Nice to see him rebound. Hopefully he doesn’t regress again.
- Jorrick Calvin showed some nice vision on his first return which was unfortunately called back due to a holding call. However Calvin all in all had a very solid day on returns.
- Yet another solid day for Akers.
- Very poor throw by Michael Vick on the INT. It was the exact same route that Jeremy Maclin ran on his amazing TD catch against Washington a few weeks ago but Vick just had too much air under the pass.
- I’ll say this every week…right guard. Please.
- Jason Avant, what has happened to your hands? You dropped another TD!
- Celek, I gave you props earlier but you too had a pretty big drop.
- Andre Johnson carved this secondary up, which comes as no surprise to me. Asante, get healthy soon.
- Joselio Hanson scares me when he plays on the outside. He’s fine as a nickel back but he’s awful on the outside.
- Why can’t our defense play well in the 3rd quarter?
- Quintin Mikell continues to be caught out of position and he takes poor angles. Offseason defensive priority is SS. Or is Kurt Coleman the answer? Stay tuned!
- Brandon Graham needs to beef up a bit this offseason. He has a lot of talent but lacks to strength to shut down the run and shed blocks.
- What was up with kickoffs? It seemed every single one was short.
All in all it was a good, solid win. The Texans are not a bad team and for the Eagles defense to have kept their offense relatively in check while playing without their best defensive back is good enough for me. Bring on the Cowboys. That’s right. It’s Dallas week.