I hate night games. I really do. Well, I hate when the Eagles play night games. Why? Because no matter what the outcome is, I will be up late thinking about the game. Losses are the worst.
Losses that shouldn’t have been loses are the absolutely worst.
The Eagles had every right to win this game and they didn’t. They have no one to blame but themselves. I’m not even going to use Vick’s injury as an excuse.
As always, I’m here to take a look at the positives and the negatives from each side of the ball.
– Jeremy Maclin had a fantastic game. Yes, he had the drop at the end and that really sucked. But he was a huge reason the Eagles were even in the game. His first touchdown grab could easily have been an incompletion as Vick threw the ball behind him.
– LeSean McCoy is in the same boat. Another terrific game.
– Mike Vick pre-turnover fetish was fantastic.
– Jason Peters continues to be spectacular. How does a man that big move like that? Being a former TE helps.
– Brent Celek had himself a might fine game, speaking of TEs.
– Both times I watched the game, Jason Kelce failed to draw attention. That’s not a bad thing at all.
– DeSean Jackson didn’t have pretty stats at all. He had a great game. Jackson was in double coverage all day and that opened up the field for Jeremy Maclin to have such a great game. Beyond the stats, he had two great effort plays that I saw. The first being the touchdown saving tackle after Vick’s first fumble. The second being the block that allowed LeSean McCoy to score his touchdown. I refuse to listen to any argument against paying this guy. He’s a football player and darn good one. Pay da man.
– I believe in Mike Kafka. But, unlike many fans, I watched the entire preseason. He can play.
– Trent Cole plays like a man possessed against the Flacons. Seriously. Wow. Matt Ryan was under duress all day from Cole.
– Jason Babin looked pretty good too.
– So did Cullen Jenkins.Casey Matthews took some steps forward. He’s still not great or even that good but it’s a step in the right direction. He was around the ball often. You want to see that.
– Having three Pro Bowl CBs just flat our rocks. And what a great INT by Samuel. Hope the finger injury heals quickly.
– Between the first and final seven minutes of the game, the run defense was fantastic. The defense was fantastic.
– Chas Henry had a pretty decent game. It was certainly far better than his first game.
– Punt coverage was terrific.
– Kick coverage was pretty good.
– I like trick and misdirection plays early and in the middle of the game. Very effective.
– Wide 9. Love it.
– Turnover fetish Vick was terrible. Arguably the worst we’ve seen so far from him.
– Also on Vick, I understand the desire to make him more of a pocket passer. McNabb wanted the same thing. What did it do? It took away his greatest strength. Run Vick, run. That’s what separates Vick from other QBs.
– Todd Herremans had a rough game.
– Jamar Chaney was awful. He looked lost out there.
– Run defense before and after the first and final seven minutes of the game was atrocious.
– Please get well soon Nate Allen. Please.
– Someday we’ll be able to cover a tight end, I just know it. For now, they’ll continue to dominate us. Not sure why the Eagles didn’t stick one of their 3 Pro Bowl CBs on Gonzalez. It may not have stopped him but it sure would’ve slowed him down.
– Linebacker play as a whole. There were some good things but a whole lot more bad things. How long will this position be ignored?
– Seriously, Dion Lewis needs to stop bringing out every ball. Kneeling is acceptable.
– I don’t like trick plays down at the goal line and near the end of the game. Just play football. Don’t get cute.
– Andy Reid coached scared with Kafka under center. That ultimately is what sunk the Eagles.
It was a frustrating game. Again, there’s no good reason why the Eagles should have lost that game. This is one of those games that can come back to haunt a team when it comes down to tiebreakers. But there’s no time to linger. The Giants are coming to town. Who’s in the mood for a seventh straight victory?